$935,261

Charlemagnes' Son (Western Emperor) Legendary Fortress More Than 1000 Years Old On A Rocky Spur

  • 10 Beds
  • 32,292 Sqft
  • 20.51 Ac lot
  • Updated: March 28, 2025
  • 1,239
    Views for last 30 days
  • 1,263

About the Property

EXCLUSIVE - LEGENDARY FORTRESS OF VEAUCE IN THE HEART OF ALLIER - MH - MORE THAN 1000 YEARS OF HISTORY(S) - ON A ROCKY Spur - SPLENDID VIEW - 8.3 HA - MONUMENT IN RISK

Known to be the residence of Louis the Pious, Western emperor in the 9th century.

The location of the Veauce castle has existed since the Gallo-Roman era; springs still in water dating from this period are also vis
EXCLUSIVE - LEGENDARY FORTRESS OF VEAUCE IN THE HEART OF ALLIER - MH - MORE THAN 1000 YEARS OF HISTORY(S) - ON A ROCKY Spur - SPLENDID VIEW - 8.3 HA - MONUMENT IN RISK

Known to be the residence of Louis the Pious, Western emperor in the 9th century.

The location of the Veauce castle has existed since the Gallo-Roman era; springs still in water dating from this period are also visible in a cellar of the castle.

In the 9th century, the castle was the summer residence of Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne, emperor and king of the Franks. The fortress underwent numerous periods of construction and reconstruction: in the 11th, 13th then at the end of the 15th century, beginning of the 16th century when the lordship of Veauce was established as a barony. The castle then depended on Louis II of Bourbon, on the death of the constable Charles III of Bourbon (in 1527), the lordship returned to the fold of the Crown.

It was not until the 19th century that Veauce shined again with the arrival of Charles de Cadier de Veauce, an influential politician and friend of the Duke of Morny, who had the castle restored in a neo-Gothic and neo-Renaissance style, he is also behind the construction of the current stables as well as the installation of a riding school in a semi-circular part of the fortress. It was also he who had the park developed by the Count of Choulot.

Of the medieval fortress, what remains is the high keep, the towers and curtain walls, part of the covered walkway, as well as the kitchens. Despite its appearance as a medieval fortress, Baron de Veauce was able to modernize the place in the style of the 19th century.

In the 20th century under the leadership of the penultimate owner, the castle saw the birth of the legend of Lucie, a ghost seen many times, who made the place and its owner at the time famous, Mr. Tagori ”of the Tour” (It was Eugène de Cadier de Veauce who sold the castle to Mr. Tagori in 1972).

The castle is made up of four wings:

An old wing on three levels and several basement levels. This building dates from the medieval period of the castle and was largely remodeled in the 19th century but still has 15th century elements, such as fireplaces and mullioned windows. The east wing is served by a circular staircase located in an hors d’oeuvre tower next to which is the castle chapel (probably a simple oratory).

On the ground floor as well as on the first floor a large corridor serves all the living rooms. The noble floor located on the 1st floor. The second level, reserved for servants, has been partly redeveloped by the current owners.

The basement contains the old kitchens of the medieval castle as well as a series of cellars. There is also a cistern (source?) which dates back to Gallo-Roman times.

A 19th century wing fitted out in a neo-renaissance style. It is identical in layout to the old wing. It is in this part of the monument that the Duke of Morny was housed while he built the Château de Nades in Puy-de-Dôme.

The other two wings, partly collapsed, are outbuildings, garages and stables built on old buildings.

All of these 4 wings are surrounded by a curtain wall and fortification towers dating between the 13th and 15th centuries. Battlements and the development of a clock tower were added in the 19th century.

Around the fortress there are various developments and buildings:

To the east, a large terrace with stairs constituted the main access to the castle probably from the 18th century.

An entrance with a lodge and large gate was built in a troubadour style in the 19th century (another lodge, known as the ”Lion Lodge”, constitutes the entrance at the east end of the park).

To the West, an old tower transformed into an icehouse, as well as a final entrance with a lodge and gate (known as the ”Little Lodge”).

The 8.3 hectare park is made up of remarkable trees, the river ”la Veauce” passes through the middle of the estate. Buildings, probably from the 19th century, have been left abandoned: A mill, a metal greenhouse, various buildings.

It is currently under an official work order from the State to carry out emergency work which will give the new owner time to carry out its work programme.

Situation :
- A grocery store in the village near the castle
- All shops within 10 minutes by car
- Vichy station at 40km then Paris at 3h20 by train and Lyon at 2h

Price: 800,000 euros agency fees included (agency fees payable by the seller)
Information on the risks to which this property is exposed is available on the Géorisques website: [hidden information]
Information on the risks to which this property is exposed is available on the Géorisques website: https://www.georisques.gouv.fr/
  • Property type

    Castle

  • Floors

    3

  • Price/sqft

    $28

  • Emissions

    X

  • Consumption

    X

Features

Explore the Area

Veauce, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France View on Google Maps
Price per sqft
Low
High

View 2 more listings in Veauce

Alexandre Denniel Alexandre Denniel background

Alexandre Denniel

4.9

Joined 2 years ago
Your message
You have inquired about this property

The agent will contact you soon by

Listed by

Alexandre Denniel
France
View agent profile
Alexandre Denniel Alexandre Denniel background
15
Listings
2024
Joined
4.9
6 reviews

Book home tour with Alexandre Denniel

Choose a date and whether you'd like a virtual or in-person tour with the agent.

In-person tour
Preferred date
Tour type
Denniel Immobilier - Antiquaires en Immeubles
Denniel Immobilier - Antiquaires en Immeubles
38 Rue du Château, 77300, Fontainebleau, France
View agency profile
Guillaume and Alexandre Denniel, two passionate brothers at the head of this 100% family agency, personally suppor
Guillaume and Alexandre Denniel, two passionate brothers at the head of this 100% family agency, personally support and advise buyers and sellers of historic properties. Our skills, experience and expertise allow us to offer a complete and tailor-made service to buyers and sellers of the most beautiful heritage buildings. As heritage artisans, we carry out some of the most beautiful heritage sales in France each year. Today, no property is too beautiful for people looking to acquire a property through us, nor too complex for our expertise. 
Last updated
March 28, 2025
First listed
Dec 6, 2024
Agent licence
Listing reference
238
Call

Start phone call with:

Hello, I’m calling for the property with the reference 238, which I discovered on JamesEdition.

After the call, we'll provide your contacts to the agent for easy communication.