Whistler is a year-round outdoor playground for all ages, where fine dining restaurants, 5-star hotels, spas and wellness facilities are a quick floatplane, helicopter ride, or drive from Vancouver.
Whistler, BC: International Destination
Whistler has been voted among the top destinations in North America by major travel magazines since the mid-1990’s. Located approximately 150 kilometers North of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada, it is home to Whistler Blackcomb, one of the largest ski resorts in North America, with a vibrant pedestrian village at the base of each mountain. Whistler is also home to Whistler Olympic Park, which hosted the Nordic events for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.
It’s no surprise that buyers and their families from Hong Kong, Europe, and the United States are flocking to Whistler.
“Whistler offers fantastic vacation properties for the ski season, and second homes which are great investments for international buyers” says Thornhill.
Notable Neighborhoods of Whistler
Many of Whistler’s most luxurious neighborhoods can be found only a short distance from the vibrant offerings of Whistler Village and are comprised of generous lots with stellar mountain and lake views.
“Kadenwood is a prestigious neighborhood worth exploring” says Thornhill of Engel & Völkers Whistler. Notable features of this neighborhood are a private resident-only gondola for access to Creekside Village in four minutes, which is where Whistler originally came to be. Ski-in/ski-out access makes for an epic winter, while proximity to the mountain in the summer is a mountain bikers dream.
Stonebridge is set amongst tranquil old growth forests and boasts 29 multi-acre estate properties, with mountain bike and hiking trails abound within minutes of Whistler Village. Stonebridge is known as a private sanctuary with million-dollar views. These properties have everything you need to host, relax, and play.
Ski-in/ski-out multimillion-dollar mansions above the smaller neighborhood of Brio have always been in high demand. Notable features in Sunridge Plateau are incredible views of Sproatt and Rainbow Mountain, and proximity to all three Premier Golf courses; Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler Golf Club, and Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club, where you can often play alongside the black bears!
- Previously a seller’s market, the past 12 months have seen a shift towards favoring buyers, particularly when it comes to detached homes.
- Real estate prices remain high and this is somewhat tempering the market. The good news is that, currently, there is more selection and less competition. And also, more time for buyers to make a decision.
- Popular housing styles consist of modern, contemporary design and smart home technologies, however traditionally styled homes continue to be built.
- New houses in Whistler and Vancouver must adhere to certain green standards in the building codes, according to the Engel & Völkers Canadian Spring Market Report. This is West Coast construction at its finest, with green building technologies integrated for seamless mountain living.
- Average prices in upscale neighborhoods (mentioned above) range between CAD$10-15m (USD$7.5-11.3m) .
- It’s also possible to invest in an off-plan property. In this case, a lot price would be CAD$2.5 – $3.5 million (USD$1.9-2.6 million).
Whistler living is the ultimate luxury. Welcome to the best place on earth!