The geography of luxury real estate investment is changing, analysts at the International Luxury Property Expo (ILPE)
Real estate in Singapore, Madrid, and Tokyo has increased in price by more than 10% and demand keeps rising. In the meantime, prices for real estate in Dubai and London are tumbling as demand slips. The EU and, in particular, German luxury real estate markets remain the most stable. In 2018, Berlin real estate enjoyed the highest demand.
- Homes to buy: Real estate in Singapore on JamesEdition.com
Investors’ focus has shifted toward countries that have seen an increase in real estate value over recent years. For instance, prices for high-end real estate in Singapore have soared by 11.5%, while in Tokyo prices have risen by 9.4% and in Beijing, real estate values have risen by 7.3%.
- Germany remains the most attractive destination in Europe for upmarket real estate investment. Its popularity can be credited to its stable economy and a transparent taxation system. The German real estate market received €57.5 billion in investment over the previous year alone. Based on the number of enquiries, real estate in Germany ranked 1st among the EU countries at ILPE events.
- In general, the European Union retains its investment appeal for upscale property investors, but 2017 was not an easy year, where concerns included Brexit and elections in Germany and France.
- Even so, 2018 had a positive effect on the real estate market which, in turn, resulted in an increase in luxury real estate prices. In Berlin, for instance, prices rose by 8.5% and by 6% in Paris. The most expensive homes can now be found in Monaco, where homes fetch US$62.5 per square meter. On average, prices for high-end real estate in the EU have grown by 6%. Western Europe remains the most coveted investment destination for asset protection.
- Political uncertainty has taken its toll on real estate elsewhere: In London prices declined by 1.8%, and in Istanbul by 2.4%, while the market in Vancouver, Canada has plummeted, losing 6.2% of its value.
- Several years ago, investors massively favoured the UAE, but now, with prices dropping an average 6% a year, investors need to use caution when selecting property. However, the transaction volume still remains quite high and the market is expected to recover and prices to rise by 2020, thanks to World Expo 2020, to be held in Dubai.
Sign up for JamesEdition’s weekly newsletter – and get next stories straight to your inbox!
Real estate forecast for 2019
ILPE analysts report the following trends influencing the luxury home market in 2019:
- Investor interest in upmarket holiday rental apartments is growing. This holds true for Europe (e.g. Italy and Spain) and Asia (Thailand).
- Caution in transactions involving UK real estate in the aftermath of the Brexit vote, to be observed during the first half of 2019.
- Europe is gradually withdrawing capital from the market while investments from Asia and CIS countries, particularly China, Hong Kong, India, Russia, and Azerbaijan, are rising steadily.
- The number of deals involving off-plan and pre-construction properties is increasing.