MB&F LM101 "Frost" Red Gold 40mm Limited Edition of Only 33 Pieces, Three-dimensional horological movement developed in-house by MB&FAesthetical design and finish specifications developed by Kari Voutilainen, Movement features Hours, minutes and power reserve indicator with a stunning Large suspended balance wheel
With the "Frost" limited editions, the large balance wheel of LM101 now contrasts magnificently against the effervescent backdrop of a frosted gold dial. Additional contrast is provided by Frost's highly polished bezel and lugs, which make the matte surface of the frosted dial really pop.
For many, the word "frost" conjures forth images of breath-condensing cold and bright, early-morning winter sunshine scintillating off frost-covered lawns. That natural frost sparkles vivaciously due to light reflecting off the microscopically uneven ice crystals – exactly like the LM101 Frost sparkles due to light reflecting off its microscopically uneven frosted surface.
Abraham-Louis Breguet is credited with inventing the "frosted" finish in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. At the time, frosting protected dials and movements from oxidation and added subdued vivacity to movement plates. Traditional frosting methods involved dangerous acids which have been largely replaced by the safer method of carefully compressing the surface with a wire brush. This is however a much more difficult process to master and very few artisans today create true frosted finishes: the majority of surfaces that look frosted have in fact been bead blasted, which does not quite have the same visual impact.
- Three-dimensional horological movement developed in-house by MB&F, Aesthetical design and finish specifications: Kari Voutilainen
- Manual winding with single mainspring barrel
- Power reserve of 45 hours
- Balance wheel: Bespoke 14mm balance wheel with four traditional regulating screws floating above the movement and dials
- Balance spring: traditional Breguet curve terminating in mobile stud holder
- Balance frequency: 18,000bph/2.5Hz
- Number of components: 229 components
- Number of jewels: 23
- Chatons: gold chatons with polished countersinks
- Fine finishing: superlative hand finishing throughout respecting 19th century style; internal bevel angles highlighting hand craft; polished bevels; Geneva waves; hand-made engravings. Frosted mainplate for the LM101 Frost editions.
- High domed sapphire crystal on top and box sapphire crystal on back, both with anti-reflective coating on both sides.
Also known as: MB&F 51.RL.FW, MB and F 51.RL.FW, MBandF 51.RL.FW, MB & F 51.RL.FW, MB&F 51RLFW