Traveling by private jet offers the ultimate in luxury, convenience, and privacy, but how much does it cost?
According to Air Charter Service, the price of hiring a jet depends on factors such as jet type and size. While a one-hour trip in a light jet could cost $4,000, a seven-hour flight in a heavy jet can cost around $140,000.
Here’s a more detailed look at private jet charter prices in the USA.
How are flight prices calculated?
You could pay up to $100 million to purchase your own customised aircraft. But renting a private jet can be a more cost-effective, flexible way to travel for business or leisure.
Prices vary depending on a range of factors, including:
- Jet size and type
- Flight distance
- Aircraft availability
- Number of passengers
- Amount of luggage
- Airport fees
- Refuelling and jet repositioning costs
Empty leg flights are also available at heavily discounted prices of up to 75 percent.
These flights are offered when a jet has to be returned to its original airport after a one-way charter. Rather than fly empty the ticket price is discounted, making empty leg flights a good choice for last-minute trips.
How much does it cost to charter a turboprop or light jet (Cessna, Beechkraft)
If you’re taking a short domestic flight in the USA, turboprops or light jets with space for up to six people are ideal.
Flying from New York to Boston, which takes about 45 minutes in a turboprop such as a Piper Cheyenne would cost from $4,800.
A larger light jet such as a Beechcraft King Air 200 may cost $14,000 to fly three and a half hours from Los Angeles to Seattle. Private jet charter companies often charge by the hour, here are some sample costs for hiring popular light jets and turboprops:
· Cessna Citation Mustang – costs $4,000 per hour to charter, with a maximum flight time of two hours 30 minutes and a range of 1,343 mi / 2,161 km.
· Beechcraft King Air 200 – costs $4,000 to charter per hour, with a maximum flight time of three hours 30 minutes and a range of 1,818 mi / 2,926 km.
· Cessna Citation CJ3 – costs from $5,500 per hour to charter and has a maximum flight time of three hours and a range of 2,157 mi / 3,472 km.
How much does it cost to charter a mid-size or super mid-size jet (Learjet, Embraer, Gulfstream)
Charter a mid-size jet for journeys of four hours or over in the USA, with space for up to nine passengers.
Popular jets in this range include the Bombardier Learjet 60 XR, which costs around $28,000 to hire from San Francisco to Houston. And Embraer Legacy 500 which costs from $47,500 to fly from San Diego to Charlotte.
For journeys of six hours or more, super mid-size jets like the Gulfstream G200 or the Bombardier Challenger 300 are ideal.
It would cost around $61,750 for the Gulfstream to fly the six-and-a-half-hour journey from Orlando to Lima, Peru.
Here are some charter prices by the hour for mid and super mid-size jets:
· Mid-size Bombardier Learjet 60XR – costs $7,000 per hour to charter. It has a four-hour maximum flight time and a 2,782 mi / 4,478 km range.
· Mid-size Embraer Legacy 500 – costs $9.500 per hour, with a maximum flight time of five hours and a range of 3,452 mi / 5,556 km.
· Super mid-size Gulfstream G200 / G280 – costs $9,500 to charter per hour and has a maximum flight time of seven hours and a range of 4,142 mi / 6,667 km.
How much does it cost to charter a heavy jet (Airbus, Boeing, Gulfstream)
Need to take a long, transatlantic flight? Heavy jets with space for 19 passengers or more are perfect and usually have more luxurious facilities with spacious cabins.
Popular heavy jets to charter include the Bombardier Challenger 850 or the ultra-long-range Gulfstream G550 which can fly nine and a half hours from Miami to Lisbon with 16 passengers for $133,000.
VIP, ultra-luxury jets that have been heavily customised such as the Airbus A319CJ are the most expensive private charter options.
The Airbus can travel from New York to London in eight hours at a cost of around $160,000, carrying up to 19 people. The jet boasts an office, entertainment system, bedroom and bathroom. Here’s a sample of heavy jet per-hour charter prices:
· Airbus A319 – costs $20,000 per hour to charter with a maximum flight time of eight hours and a range of 4,287 mil / 6,900 km.
· Boeing BBJ – costs $20,000 per hour and has a maximum flight time of 12 hours, with a range of 10,932 mi / 17,594 km.
· Gulfstream G550 – costs $14,000 to charter per hour, with a maximum flight time of 14 hours and a range of 7,767 mi / 12,501 km.