An important country house estate, close to the coast and in a very private setting.AVAILABLE AS A WHOLE OR IN TWO LOTS. LOT 2 IS AVAILABLE IN ADDITION AND WILL NOT BE SOLD BEFORE LOT 1.HISTORYOxney C
An important country house estate, close to the coast and in a very private setting.AVAILABLE AS A WHOLE OR IN TWO LOTS. LOT 2 IS AVAILABLE IN ADDITION AND WILL NOT BE SOLD BEFORE LOT 1.HISTORYOxney Court has an intriguing history, having for many years lain at the heart of England’s smallest parish. The earliest reference to Oxney is in a charter of 1038, at which time the parish contained only 319 acres. The earliest history of the parish is centred on the nearby Church of St Nicholas which is now redundant and ruined. It was a chapel of ease to serve the estate at Oxney, associated with The Abbey at West Langdon, founded 1192. By 1759, when Hasted visited Oxney, the church had a thatched roof and was being used as a barn. The open ruins were later re-consecrated as a family burial ground in the 19th Century (but the Church is no longer a part of the estate today).There has been a house on this site for centuries, although it has changed much over generations. At the heart of today’s house is a late 17th Century house, built after the earlier timber framed property was demolished and improved. The gothic style was first introduced to Oxney in 1764 by the Jeken family and further transformations were made through the 19th Century.The house was then requisitioned during World War I, mysteriously caught fire and was severely damaged and then fell into ruin.The gardens were laid out and planted during the later 19th Century, when the house was owned by the Banks family. Joseph Banks, the nephew of the owner, was well known for introducing exotic plants to England whilst he was employed at Kew Gardens; some magnificent specimen trees remain today.In the latter years of the 20th century, a variety of attempts to rebuild the ruin were proposed, but were considered inappropriate until 1997, when Oxney Court was sold and the then owners obtained permission for a sympathetic reconstruction of the mansion house, and implemented a careful programme of restoration and improvement resulting house of the highest quality. The current owners have continued to care for and enhance the property providing the most wonderful environment for living and entertaining.The House is listed Grade II on account of its historical and architectural importance, and is a very rare example of a baronial gothic manor house in the depths of the Kentish countryside.THE PROPERTYOxney Court is a rare and beautiful house offering an exceptional combination of an extremely elegant principal house together with excellent guest and staff accommodation, all wonderfully served by the further facilities in terms of leisure and entertainment. The estate possesses great levels of privacy enhancing further the special environment and enjoyment of the property and is a gracious and tranquil oasis in which to retreat.Electric gates open to a driveway which passes through ancient woodland before continuing through more formal gardens on approaching the house. A second drive bears off through the woodland leading to the guest Cottage. Rounding the circular driveway, the mansion house comes into view across expansive lawns to the front of the property.Covered steps, beneath a magnificent entrance porch, lead to an octagonal reception hall with stone flooring. Ahead, double doors open to a fine, generously proportioned dining room which, like the principal façade of the house, is in the Strawberry Hill gothic style. There is a large bow window with gothic style detailing and a high ceiling with ornate mouldings.Beyond the reception hall, the staircase hall has a stone fireplace and a sweeping staircase leading to the first floor landing. Beyond, the elegant principal reception rooms stretch across the front of the house.The drawing room has a striking mirrored wall and a double sided fireplace to the end of the room also opens into t
Strutt and Parker and BNP Paribas Real Estate have merged to form a combined business which offers clients property
Strutt and Parker and BNP Paribas Real Estate have merged to form a combined business which offers clients property advice and partnership opportunities across a whole range of real estate activities. From property development to consulting, valuation to transaction, property management and investment management, we cover all types of real estate assets: commercial, residential and rural. The Strutt and Parker Residential teams are based in 60 offices across England and Scotland, including Prime Central London. Our agents handle the sale and let of a wide range of properties, from period country houses to large mansion blocks and new build apartments to cosy terraces.