Umbria - Spello
Palazzo della Torre is located in the historical centre of Spello, one of Umbria’s major cities of art, famous for its "Flower festivals" and ranked among "Italy’s most beautiful Villages".
The property, which is located in the highest part of the town, consists of a 17th century building, two outbuildings, a small annexe (storehouse), a terrace on the tower and 3,500 sqm of private park.
Evidence of the Roman and medieval eras remind us of the thousands of years of history behind what Spello is today: a lively town, rich with events, every year attracting lovers of art and good living.
The other important historic towns of Umbria are nearby: Foligno (8 km) and Assisi (14 km) can be reached in about 15 minutes and in just a few minutes more you can get to Trevi (20 km), while the historic towns centres of Perugia (30 km) and Spoleto (34 km) are less than half an hour away. The little town of Spello, which is in a central position with regard to Rome and Florence, is excellently connected by the highway, allowing you to reach both in about an hour and 45 minutes by car.
The airport of Perugia S. Egidio is 15 minutes away (22 km), the airport of Rome Ciampino is 178 km away and that of Rome Fiumicino is 200 km away.
Description of buildings
The property consists of:
- the main building, with a living area that has 718 net sqm of floor space, as well as 122 sqm of attics and 280 sqm of terrace. The property is of great architectural and artistic value and, according to various historical testimonies, it appears to have been completed around 1602 on a medieval bastion, while some sections of brickwork, still visible on the west side, are evidence of earlier Roman structures;
- an outbuilding with 85 net sqm of living space, plus as 81 sqm of basements and storehouses;
- another building with 58 sqm of living space, plus an 88 sqm garage, 170 sqm of basements and 126 sqm of terraces;
- a small annexe, in need of full renovation.
The main Building is spread over four levels as well as a terrace and is divided as follows:
- on the ground floor, all the ceilings are vaulted, the floor area is 255 net sqm and a large entrance hall divides the building into two wings. To the left there is a bedroom, a private chapel and a pantry, while to the right there is a kitchen, a woodshed, a cellar, a utility room and a staircase to the upper floors. At the back, there is access to a courtyard.
- the main floor, which also has vaulted, frescoed ceilings, consists of four large bedrooms, one of which has an en suite bathroom, a lounge, another kitchen and a bathroom;
- on the second floor there is a kitchen/living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom;
- on the third floor there is a living room, a kitchen, a study, two bedrooms, three bathrooms and a large area (122 net sqm) intended for use as an attic.
- lastly, on the top floor of the building there is a large panoramic terrace of 280 sqm.
All the floors in the building are connected by a lift.
Adjacent to the building there is a two-storey outbuilding, with:
- on the ground floor, which has a floor area of 81 net sqm, ancillary rooms serving the property as basements and storerooms, as well as a small courtyard of about 20 sqm;
- on the first floor, with 85 net sqm of living area, an apartment with a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, two bedrooms, a study and a bathroom.
To complete the property, there is a building on multiple levels, following the layout of the garden, which is divided as follows:
- one portion, renovated with a garage (88 net sqm) and a room intended for use as a basement/storeroom;
- one portion, in need of renovation, with rooms on the ground floor intended for use as storerooms/storage spaces and a porch overlooking the garden; on the mezzanine floor, there is another utility room; on the first floor there is a kitchen/living room with a small balcony, a bedroom with access to a large panoramic terrace (126 sqm) and a bathroom; there are another two ancillary rooms on the top floor;
In front of the building, there is also a small annexe, intended for use as a storeroom, in need of full renovation.
Both the main building of the Palazzo, which dates back to the 17th century, and the outbuilding have recently been renovated and are in excellent condition.
Inside the building, the original architectural features have been maintained: on the ground floor, the vaulted ceilings, terracotta floors and large kitchen fireplace remind us of the original intended use of those rooms, which served the main floor. Here, on the main floor, in addition to large rooms with decorations and frescoes on the vaulted ceilings and on the walls, there is also a beautiful wooden floor.
The private chapel is also adorned with decorations and faux marble.
Despite the fact that the other areas of the building and the outbuilding have not maintained their original finishes, they have nevertheless been renovated and are perfectly habitable.
Palazzo della Torre has numerous outdoor spaces, from the 3,500 sqm of private park, kept as a garden, and the terraces, the largest measures 280 sqm and is on the top floor of the building, while the most evocative is on the top of one of the town’s towers, overlooking the entire valley.
Usage and potential
The property is located in one of Umbria’s major cities of art and is in a central position with respect to important historic towns in Central Italy. This, along with the size of its buildings, makes it perfect as a private representative residence, both as a permanent dwelling or as a holiday home. It would also be possible to use the outhouse for guests and the partly renovated building for service staff. Alternatively it could be utilized as a source of income, by renting it out during periods of non-use or combining it with a small tourist accommodation business.