THE DUPLEX | THE EPITOME OF DOWNTOWN CHIC This exquisite Duplex melds a bespoke collection of striking finishes with soaring ceiling heights, floor to ceiling windows, grand room dimensions including three bedrooms, three bathrooms and one powder room and is the epitome of contemporary chic boutique living. With 21-foot soaring ceilings, this 4,200+ square foot duplex, includes a blend or 10-…
THE DUPLEX | THE EPITOME OF DOWNTOWN CHIC This exquisite Duplex melds a bespoke collection of striking finishes with soaring ceiling heights, floor to ceiling windows, grand room dimensions including three bedrooms, three bathrooms and one powder room and is the epitome of contemporary chic boutique living. With 21-foot soaring ceilings, this 4,200+ square foot duplex, includes a blend or 10-inch wide European oak and heated black granite slab floors, original exposed brick detailing, two architecturally significant iron street-facing balcony, an in-home washer dryer, secondary Livingroom overlooking first floor, library or small 4th bedroom and a private master terrace. The first level of the residence opens directly into a cavernous, double height living room, dining room, and kitchen. Adorned with a gas-burning fireplace and flanked by two rows of oversized windows, the living and dining rooms lead onto a street-facing balcony. The Boffi-designed kitchen is equipped with sleek white quartzite countertops, a massive eat-in island, and a suite of fully integrated Gaggenau appliances. The southern end of this level is occupied by a capacious grand Master Suite that includes a huge walk-in closet, a private balcony, and a spa-like en-suite bathroom with custom Boffi-designed dual vanity sinks, an iTempo walk-in steam shower, and a separate 72-inch ZUMA bathtub.
THE CONDO | ULTRA BOUTIQUE LIVING
41 Great Jones is a coveted and ultra-boutique condominium designed by the renowned Morris Adjmi Architects and developed by the esteemed Blumenfeld Development Group. MA transformed this 1890 store-and-loft building into a contemporary three-unit condominium, its Renaissance Revival facade was repaired and restored, including cast-iron columns and wrought-iron fire escape baskets, while details that had been lost to history, like the original wood-and-glass storefront and metal cornice, were recreated from historic photographs. While the outside was preserved, the inside was completely transformed with three distinctive condominium units. With its supreme location steps from Soho, Greenwich Village and The East Village, coupled with its ultra-chic and private family sized living, The Duplex is the perfect city sanctuary to call home-sweet-home in the heart one of Manhattan's most desirable and coveted neighborhoods. GREAT JONES | HISTORY 41 Great Jones was designed by Herter Brothers Architects, constructed between 1889 and 1890, and originally housed a number of high-end garment manufacturers. The building remains largely intact to its early twentieth-century appearance and contributes to the mixed-use and diverse character of the NoHo Historic District Extension. From 1959 to 2013, Acme Sandblasting Company occupied the lower levels.
Acme Sandblasting was founded in 1916 but operated down the block at 7 Great Jones. Lifelong New Yorker Leon Feinberg purchased the business in 1947 and eventually moved the operation to 41 Great Jones in 1958/9. It was once part of a thriving industrial center in that part of the neighborhood and outlasted nearly all of its peers. Feinberg passed away in 2010 at age 93. The company followed three years later.
According to the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation , Great Jones Street , located between Lafayette Street and the Bowery, was named for Samuel Jones who was born in Massapequa in 1734. Known as the “Father” of the New York State Bar, Jones revised the laws to govern the state and became the first Comptroller to serve New York. He also served as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in Poughkeepsie in 1788, assuring that the state’s Bill of Rights would be included. He’s remembered as “one of the most profound and enlightened jurists of this or any other country.”
In 1789, Jones donated a parcel of land in the East Village to the city, with the request that any street within the property had to be named after him. However, at the time, in 1789, a block called Jones Street already existed in Greenwich Village. To prevent confusion of the two streets, Jones suggested the name “Great Jones” for its unusual width, and it stuck. In the early nineteenth century, Great Jones lived up to its name and featured homes of many affluent and aristocrat residents, including former mayor Philip Hone. As these New Yorkers later flocked uptown in the late 1880s, the area became home to mostly craftsmen. Due to its Romanesque, Renaissance and Classical Revival architecture, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission included it in their NoHo Historic District Extension category.