Share the Heritage! Pre-Revolutionary Historic Bank House, lovingly restored. Authentic and original details including exposed stone walls, varied width oak and pine floors, fireplacesand hand hewn beams. Library and pub room with bar and antique reclaimed English oak paneling. Au pair or guest suite with kitchen and great room. Two barns, perennial gardens and water feature on 5.5 beautiful and secluded acres at the end of a cul-de-sac.
In the early 1700’s, German settlers traveled to the New World with the followers of William Penn. On their way to what was to become Pennsylvania, some families decided to settle in the wondrous land that reminded them of home and is today New Jersey.
In 1736, the Cooper family established a farm on 500 acres and built a stone bank house. The bank house was common in German settlements and today, many still remain in the countryside of Pennsylvania. The descendants of the Cooper family went on to build gristmills in nearby Chester. The entry door leading to the library has a landing that may very well be a grinding stone from one of those mills. At some point, several additions to the right and left of the original stone house were created although a history of this construction is unavailable.
In the mid 1920’s, the Potter family acquired the home and used the second floor Dutch doors that lead to the middle of the home as the main entrance. Guests walked down the main stairway to the living area.
Hamilton Kean, brother of former Governor Kean, was the next owner. Mr. Kean and his family resided on the 500 acre farm and continued to improve the home that was now known as “The Stone House Farm”. The property was later sold to a developer who subdivided the original 500 acres and created the Oak Knoll section of Mendham. The Stone House Farm remained on 5.6 acres.
The current owner has meticulously restored the home. An antique French Boisserie acquired from Pierre Deuxwas used to create the glorious breakfast room. Extensive perennial gardens, patios, and a pond with water garden compliment the spectacular property.