Skilfully restored historic manor with annexes, private church, chapel and approximately 2 hectares of land with swimming pool. Total surface area of 660 sq.m comprising living spaces, 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.
Anyone looking for a historical dwelling only 4 km away from one of the most valued coastlines in the Salento area will surely find this property fascinating.The Antica Masseria Pugliese – Old Puglia Mansion House – can probably be dated back to somewhere around the year 1000. According to historical documents, after a period of abandon around the year 1400 following the devastating presence of Turks in the area, it was rebuilt in the mid 16th century. All that remains from the original structure are the little church and the tower, around which was built a fortified palace or castle, as a defense against the frequent attacks of pirates and corsairs coming from the sea.The closest town, Melendugno, is only 4 km away, as is San Foca (a famous seaside town). Lecce (20 km) and Otranto (24 km) are only about twenty minutes away, and other important towns such as Porto Cesareo (49 km) and Gallipoli (60 km) are less than an hour away by car.The closest airport is that of Brindisi, about 68 km away, while the Bari airport can be reached in a little over two hours (183 km).
Description of buildings
Austere and majestic, this mansion house consists of a main body on two levels, with a mezzanine, for a gross surface of about 487 sqm, a dependance of about 90 gross sqm, the family church, the little chapel and the park, which measures about two hectares and houses a swimming pool.
The ground floor of the main building houses the large entrance hall/sittin-room with fireplace, kitchen/dining area, laundry room, bathroom, bedroom that was originally the base of the old tower, and technical room. On the first floor a large room used as living-room works as crossways for the two master bedrooms with fireplace, bathroom, studio, spacious access room, bathroom and utility room. The mezzanine hosts a vaulted bedroom with glass windows overlooking the large living-room of the lower floor. The dependance occupies a single floor and consists of an open area with living room and bedroom, bathroom and a service locker.The main building is connected to the small Byzantine chapel and to the family church by the suggestive “chariot entrance hall”.
From the internal design to the selected materials and including the workmanship, the property is an example of excellence and quality and is in absolutely perfect conditions.
Part of the area around the buildings, which covers over two hectares, is a planted garden with a beautiful infinity pool measuring 14 x 6 m.
Usage and potential
The quality of the architecture and the finishing, the historical importance of the structure, its convenient position, near one of the most valued seaside towns of the Salento area (San Foca), make this property perfect as a private household as well as a beach house or simply as an investment. It can be put to use as high-class tourist property for rent – potential clients will most certainly be pleased with its closeness to the sea, its privacy and its park and swimming pool.