The thoughtfully restored Layton House,
circa 1793, is a stately, refined Montgomery County National Historic Landmark. Named after owner and town namesake, John Layton,
the area postmaster and prominent local figure in the mid-19th
century, this treasure is a combination of Federal and Greek Revival architecture
both popular during the construction. The
home maintains many original features including rich Georgia pine hardwood floors, classic hardware throughout, bricks made on the property in the late 1700’s, and seven fireplaces with elegant mantels. The residence affords ten-foot ceilings, generously
proportioned rooms, and a grand staircase.
Restored to highlight and enhance the historic design yet create updated spaces to fit today's lifestyle, the home
presents an inviting entertainment kitchen with gas stove, renewed bathrooms, an in-law or au-pair
suite, tranquil patio surrounded by exquisite landscaping, and lush gardens on
the more than half acre property. Celebrating
beauty and privacy, the home is centrally located with easy access to Washington,
Baltimore, and three major airports.