The Maardu manor, the construction history of which dates back to some three hundred years, is one of the oldest and most valuable fully completed manor ensembles in Harju County. The manor was first mentioned already before the Jüriöö Uprising, in 1314, but its location was at Muuga. Data from the manor at its current location date back to 1397.
The older part of the main building is in Baroque style. Several similar manors were built in the second half of the 17th century (Aa and Palmse manors have analogous room plans).
The Maardu manor ensemble – the main building and the stables, as well as the garden with its bordering wall – are under protection as architectural monuments of local importance, whereas the park is also a nature conservation object of local importance.
Owing to persons related to the manor, the place is also important from the point of view of cultural history. The most well-known of the former owners of the Maardu manor is General Hermann Jensen von Bohn, who helped finance the publication of the first Estonian-language Bible in 1739. There is a monument erected in his honour in the park in front of the house and a copy of his portrait decorates a room in the building.