A short distance from Florence, an ancient and prestigious villa whose traces date back to 1427, and where lived the famous Monna Lisa, portrayed by Leonardo Da Vinci around 1505 and named "La Gioconda".
Location & Lifestyle
Scandicci is about 9km west of Florence and thanks to its proximity to the city and the richness of green areas it is one of the most densely populated areas with important villas of the Florentine Hinterland.
This beautiful villa, located just 5 kilometers from Florence, is full of history. From 1498 to 1517 it was the property of the powerful Del Giocondo family of which the famous Monna Lisa, wife of Francesco del Giocondo, named "La Gioconda", was portrayed by Leonardo Da Vinci around 1505. From here it seems that Baldo d'Aguglione , Dante's contemporary Florentine jurist and politician, whom the Supreme Poet twice mentions in the Divine Comedy as the "Villan d'Aguglion". It was, in fact, the Aguglione to issue the sentence on September 2, 1311, which excluded Dante from amnesty, preventing him from returning home from exile.
The estate complex is spread over an area of about 20 hectares and consists of a large manor house on three floors and one partly underground as well as several other annexes including lemon groves greenhouse, cellars, greenhouse and garage for a total of about 4000 square meters, while the main body of the villa is about 2800 square meters. The villa consists of 5 living rooms plus a living room dining room on the ground floor, 5 bedrooms with their respective bathrooms and wardrobes, a large library room and a panoramic veranda on the first floor. On the second floor there are 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a study room and a fitness room plus the terrace from where you can see Florence. In the partially underground floor there is a kitchen, dining room, two living rooms, the splendid salon and the "Medici" gallery that opens directly onto the garden of the villa. At this level there are also two storage rooms, two bathrooms, two storerooms, a cellar and a technical room. There is an intermediate space between the first and the second floor for the service staff and consists of three bedrooms, two bathrooms, pantry, kitchen, dining room, laundries, ironing and storage facilities. To enrich this exceptional luxury villa there is its private chapel with polygonal plan, typical of prestigious residences of the time and a clear example of seventeenth-century devotional architecture.
In the north part of the garden there is a tennis club with a clubhouse with toilets and changing rooms. In the south-east there is a swimming pool, while in the vicinity of one of the entrances there is a caretaker's house with 4 rooms and services. A great forest surrounds and protects this dwelling. There are two accesses: the main and the original enters, through an imposing two-door iron gate, into the avenue of cypresses until they reach the Italian garden with ornamental plants and tanks, which was designed by the well-known English architect Cecil Pinsent, who gave it the character of a true park with roses, tall trees and symmetrical flower beds. There is then a double ramp stairway that leads to the level of the home.
State and finishes
The present aspect of this prestige property, with its forehead surmounted by an elegant watch, was sought by the Marchesa Nathalie Antinori in the early 1900s, which for its important restoration efforts availed herself of his brother's work, the architect Egisto Paolo Fabbri, an artist, but especially a great collector of Cézanne of whom he came to possess 32 paintings of the highest quality. All the complex is in excellent condition and perfectly maintained, equipped with alarm system connected with control panel, three-line telephone system, gas-fueled heating system and air-conditioning.
The property, despite its size, can be used as a residence for an important family and without a doubt as a luxury Relais or as a Representative villa for receptions and elegant events.