A beautiful boxlock, by G.E. Lewis, the action with superb engraving of two game scenes, on one side a gentleman hunting hare and the other a gentleman hunting game birds, both surrounded by beautiful foliate-scroll engraving, beautifully carved and engraved fences, top lever and top tang with top safety revealing SAFE in gold, the barrels polished in their original Damascus steel finish, with the classic double-trigger and well-figured semi pistol-grip stock.
Although a famous engraver G.E. Lewis was making guns in Birmingham as early as 1859 although he did open several branches in London over the years. Towards the end of the 19th century G.E. Lewis gained international recognition with various awards and honours exhibiting his work. His ‘Gun of the Period’ is his most famous piece, which gained him Gold, Silver and Bronze medals at exhibitions. The business stayed within the family until it was put up for auction in 2003.
This was originally made for a Dr Alfred Moxon, of Manor Court Road, Nuneaton in 1894.